Barberton Community Foundation is pleased to announce we are actively seeking a team member to join us in a newly established role as the Director of Economic Development. Applications are accepted through April 23 and details to apply are posted below. You can also access a printable PDF.
Established in 1996, Barberton Community Foundation is focused on improving the lives of Barberton residents, and is working with the City of Barberton and Barberton Community Development Corporation (BCDC) to create a road map for economic development. This position will lead our economic development initiatives and will be integral in our success.
Barberton Community Foundation has awarded over 8,500 grants and scholarships totaling more than $109 million since its inception. Our role, now and forever, is to improve the quality of life for Barberton residents and enhance the economic vitality of our city.
Job Description-Director of Economic Development
Nature of Work
The Director of Economic Development will perform a variety of administrative, technical and professional work in preparation for and implementation of economic and community development plans, programs and services. This full-time position is responsible for working closely with Barberton Community Foundation staff, the Economic Development Committee and other economic development professionals within the Barberton community.
This position will include working with Barberton Community Foundation, the City of Barberton and Barberton Community Development Corporation (BCDC) in providing guidance to individuals and companies to establish, relocate, expand or enhance their businesses within the community. This position will provide integral support in developing a plan to revitalize Barberton’s downtown. Additionally, this position will work with Team NEO, the JobsOhio, the Development Finance Authority of Summit County (DFA) as well as with local businesses in a concerted effort to enhance the viability of Barberton.
In addition to providing assistance in the planning and coordination of economic and community development projects and providing research for Foundation sponsored projects, this person who fills this position needs to have expertise as a convener and facilitator.
This position is a direct report to the Executive Director of the Foundation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Directs economic development initiatives to achieve the goals and objectives outlined by the Economic Impact Plan and guided by the Economic Development Committee, formulating and implementing marketing and business attraction strategies, including familiarity with the City of Barberton’s goals and objectives
- Provides assistance in the development of short and long term economic and community development plans, as well as the gathering of research and information and the preparation of studies, reports and recommendations to achieve such goals.
- Builds consensus and works to facilitate a downtown development action plan
- Convenes groups and acts as a community facilitator
- Maintains a liaison with various local, State, and Federal agencies, coordinating projects with agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate
- Identifies gaps among the existing economic development partners and help to fill these gaps
- Provides support and extra capacity to existing economic development partners on an as-needed basis, or in a more clearly defined ongoing role.
- Facilitates regular communications and conversations among economic development entities in order to prevent silos of information or activity
- Provides information and/or makes presentations to supervisors, boards, city council, civic groups, businesses, individuals and the general public on economic development issues, programs, services and plans
- Becomes familiar with the existing inventory of available buildings and business and residential development sites within the community. This will include both public and private buildings and land areas
- Serves as a member of economic development groups or task force that promote economic and community development at the local, State or Federal level, as deemed necessary or appropriate
- Monitors legislation and regulations relating to economic development and reports findings to the appropriate impacted parties
- Maintains strong working relationships with the general public, area businesses, local business clients, the media and others
- Serves as a member of various staff committees, as assigned
- Attends professional development workshops and conferences to keep abreast of trends and developments in the field of economic development and to represent the interest of Barberton on matters related to economic development
- Serves as a team player with other Foundation staff and serves as staff liaison with the Foundation’s Economic Development Committee
- Conducts other related work as assigned
Training and Experience Required:
- Considerable experience in economic and community development, at least seven (7) years, including administrative responsibility; graduation from a four-year college or university, preferably with specialization in economic and community development or a related field; or any equivalent combination or experience and training
- Considerable knowledge of business development, economic development, building and zoning codes
- Training and work experience as a convener and facilitator, with knowledge of organizational development
- Working knowledge of municipal zoning and infrastructure, planning programs and processes, and financial opportunities for local businesses
- Knowledge of grantwriting for local, state and federal grant opportunities
- Ability to communicate effectively to groups and individuals, engineers, architects, contractors, developers, businesses, supervisors, employees and the general public
- Proven leadership, team building and negotiation skills
- Ability to establish working relationships with other organizations and economic development practitioners
- Ability to prepare and analyze reports and data, and utilize tools and equipment, i.e. computer, word processing, spreadsheet software and general office equipment
- Availability and willingness to work flexible schedule including evenings and weekends; local travel and some out-of-town travel required
- Ability to work with people of all backgrounds (race, ethnicity, socioeconomics, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, etc.)
- Self-motivation and an ability to work toward objectives with minimal supervision
Salary and Benefits
- Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. This position is eligible for a full package of employee benefits, including health insurance, long and short-term disability, 401(k) plan, personal paid-time off, and paid holidays.
It is Barberton Community Foundation’s policy that, as required by law, equal employment opportunities be available to all persons without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship status, genetic information, veteran status, or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.
How to Apply
No calls, please. Email cover letter and resume electronically, with salary requirements and the names of three (3) references, no later than April 23, 2021, to Dr. Suzanne Allen, Executive Director, Barberton Community Foundation at email@example.com.