The Adult Back to School scholarship targets Barberton residents who are seeking their first certificate, associate or bachelor degree at any accredited institution and are between the ages of 25 and 55. This scholarship increases the level of skill attainment for our residents, giving them better employment and benefit opportunities. Recipients may be full or part-time. Scholarships are generally $1,000 and can be received up to four times. All scholarships will be awarded by the end of August of each year.
Criteria and Requirements
1. Applicant must have been a resident of Barberton for at least the past five years and must show proof of that residency.
2. Applicant must not have been a recipient of the Barberton Community Foundation Scholarship Program for students at Barberton High School.
3. Applicant must be between the ages of 25 and 55 years old.
4. Applicant must be seeking their first post-high school accreditation – a certificate, associate’s or bachelor’s degree. (Those with a certificate or associate’s degree who are working toward their first associate’s or bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply.)
5. Applicant must be attending/going to attend an accredited institution of learning.
6. Applicant can already be attending school or just entering/going back to complete coursework.
7. Applicant can attend part-time or full-time – scholarship amounts will reflect attendance status.
8. Recipients will fill out a pre- and post- survey documenting how this scholarship impacted work life – survey information can include work title, salary range, and benefits package among other items. This survey is mandatory – all identifying information will be stripped from public disclosure.
9. Recipients must update email, address, and phone number annually with the foundation by August 31 annually.
Applications will be available by March of each year, with a mid-July due date.
Download the 2013-2014 Adult Back to School Scholarship application >
Download the information and guideline sheet >